Sunday, February 12, 2017

Freedom




What is feminism? According to Webster it is:  the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes. Organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests. The definition is pretty straight forward and simple. I wanted to write about what feminism meant to me. Am I a feminist? I have sat down a few times and tried to come up with something epic, something from the heart, something earth shattering. Every time I thought about it, one word kept coming to mind. Feminism to me means freedom. 

Freedom to have choices about my body, my work, my family life, who I love. Freedom to say no and to be able to change my mind. These things may seem small but so many women and allies before me have fought for me to have these freedoms that I take for granted. 

When the Women's March happened I saw a lot of backlash from women who said that it didn't represent their values, that they aren't feminist. Guess what. In my opinion, you are wrong. Your feminist side was showing when you 1-made the decision that the group did not represent you and 2-you made your opinion vocal. You had the freedom to do both of those things. When you chose to vote, you were being a feminist. You were making a stand, expressing your freedom. 

Feminism is not a bad word. It is a movement that allows women to be in charge of our lives, no matter what choices we decide to make. Feminism allows us the freedom to fail and try again. No longer to be told  to stand and "look pretty." It allows me, all of us, to have a voice and used it. 



Bio: My name is Pam Pedersen. I am a Jill of all trades, master of none. I currently am working as an assistant to a forensic psychologist, a producer for online craft videos, a moderator for a craft website and a freelance writer. When I am not writing, I love hanging out with my husband and four dogs, cross stitching and having a nice cup of tea. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment